Some people ignore the importance of brushing their teeth properly. Some may avoid brushing twice a day, while others do not realize that they are brushing their teeth incorrectly. Brushing your teeth incorrectly, may cause more harm to your teeth and gums than the actual benefit of brushing.
What Is The Proper Way To Brush?
Proper teeth brushing takes 2 minutes, at least. Most adults hurry up and do not brush for 2 minutes straight. If you are not sure about the time you’re taking to brush, try using a counter or stopwatch and set it to two minutes. Use gentle and short strokes, pay attention to your gum-line and hard-to-reach back teeth. Also, give extra attention and care to the areas around crowns, fillings or other restorations if any. Consider these useful tips while brushing the teeth:
- First clean outer surface of upper teeth and then lower teeth.
- Clean inner surface of upper teeth and then the lower teeth.
- Clean all the chewing surfaces.
- Brush your tongue for a fresher breath.
Which Kind Of Toothbrush Should You Use?
Most dentists agree that soft-bristled toothbrushes are best for removing debris and plaque from your teeth. Dentists also recommend small-headed toothbrushes as those brushes can reach and clean all areas of your mouth easily. Powered toothbrushes are also a good alternative for those who face difficulty in brushing their teeth.
How Important Is Your Toothpaste?
It is very important to use the right toothpaste for your teeth. There is a large range of toothpastes designed specifically for dental conditions like tartar, cavities, stained teeth, sensitivity and gingivitis. Consult your family dentist regarding the selection of the right toothpaste depending upon your particular dental conditions.
How Often Should You Replace Your Toothbrush?
According to the dentists, you should replace the toothbrush when it starts to show wear. Dentists also recommend replacing toothbrush every three months. It is also recommended to change out your toothbrush if you just recovered from a flu.
Useful Teeth Brushing Tips
There are a few and very common teeth brushing mistakes which should be avoided in order to maintain good dental health. Consider the useful tips given below for future brushing:
- Always use the right kind of toothbrush for your teeth: Using a brush with soft and right kind of bristles along with a comfortable handle makes teeth brushing more comfortable and beneficial.
- Brush your teeth twice a day at least and for 2 minutes each time: Brushing your teeth for less than 2 minutes may leave your teeth unclean and may not remove tartar properly. It is ideal to brush your teeth twice daily for best results.
- Do not brush too hard or too often: It is ideal to brush 3 times a day but brushing your teeth more than 4 times a day may cause harm to your gum health. Dentists also suggest refraining from vigorous brushing as it may erode your tooth enamel and cause gum recession. Also, you should replace the toothbrush after every three months because if the bristles lose their flexibility, they will not clean your teeth properly.
We hope you’ve enjoyed these tips, Dr. Saliba at Selective Dentistry in Corona Del Mar wishes you and your family a happy and healthy smile.