The phrase ‘you are what you eat’ is actually true for teeth. The worst enemy of a tooth is acid; either produced by the bacteria that thrives on sugar or contained directly in food or drinks. The best tooth-friendly foods are ones that provide minerals, neutralize acids and the vitamins for stimulating saliva and repairing the tooth enamel. Whenever you plan to prepare meals or snacks for your children, try to incorporate the following tooth-friendly foods to keep their bodies and teeth healthy:
Eating apples is like using a natural toothbrush as it helps to stimulate the gums, prevents the cavity build-up and increases the flow of saliva in your mouth. They are also loaded with numerous healthy minerals and vitamins.
This vegetable is full of dental health benefits. Chewing celery helps to produce more saliva in the mouth, which prevents the plaque production as well. Make your kids eat celery once a week at least.
Dairy products help your teeth in several ways if they do not contain added sugar.
- Cheese helps to stimulate the saliva and the calcium in it helps to replace the minerals that are leached from your teeth.
- Dairy products like yogurt, milk and other similar products provide phosphates and calcium which are beneficial to teeth. Enriched milk gives a good amount of Vitamin D which assists your body with calcium.
- A recent study published in the Journal of Oral Dentistry shows that kids who take at least 4 servings per week of dairy are less likely to have cavities as compared to those who did not.
- Children can enjoy cubes of the calcium rich cheese along with apple slices as an after school snack. It is perfect for their teeth.
- Give low-sugar yogurts to your children for making their teeth healthier than before.
Whole Grain Snacks
Snacks made from whole grain are low in calories and sugar which is an added bonus for the diet of kids. You can start with the whole grain crackers and cereals that are a big hit among the kids. There are many whole grains that are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber; all the factors which make your kids’ teeth stronger and healthier. Apart from the snacks, you can also present whole grain food with varieties of rice, pasta and bread.
Kiwis are an excellent source of Vitamin C. Intake of Vitamin C helps your body to maintain the collagen network in the gums, fastens the healing, strengthens the gums and prevents your gum from infections. Kiwi also helps to prevent the periodontal disease.
Other Important Tips For Keeping Teeth Healthy
- Juicy, crunchy vegetables and fruits are very high in water content. They help offset the sugar content in them as well.
- Also the foods that are high in fiber are the foundation of a healthy diet. They make your teeth healthier as well.
- Water is indispensable for oral health. It is very important for both gum and tooth health as it is the basic component of saliva.
- Water works as the rinsing agent for the sugary drinks and foods. Fluoridated water prevents tooth decay as it strengthens the tooth enamel.