People often do not realize that their dental health, if poor, can affect their self-esteem and confidence greatly. Not only does it spoil a bright and full smile but it also causes difficulty in talking and chewing food. So, maintaining a good oral health is essential for avoiding such situations. However, it is not always that a poor dental health is responsible for a lip-closed smile as there are people who accidentally get their teeth chipped or broken and therefore smile less in order to hide their teeth. Besides accidents, you may also find people who have yellow or stained teeth not because they don’t take care of dental health. Some people also suffer from some diseases that cause their teeth to become stained. In any case, opting to a restorative dental procedure is a great option for many people who want to have a perfect smile.
Restorative dentistry basically improves the appearance and function of damaged teeth. A dentist can replace or remove damaged teeth or fill artificial material in place of a missing tooth to overcome imperfections in teeth. There is a variety of procedures and treatments that a restorative dentist offers and some common procedures include:
- Implants: Implants are an ideal solution for those people who have missing teeth. They fill up all the big gaps between teeth. Therefore an implant acts as the best option for a dental makeover.
- Crowns: Crowns are basically used as protective covers for damaged teeth. If you have suffered an accident and lost teeth or got your teeth chipped in it, crowns might be just the right solution to your problem.
- Root Canal: This procedure is widely used by the dentists around the world to remove the infected tissues from tooth pulp. People who suffer from infection in tooth pulp complain about severe pain and therefore should get their root canal done as soon as possible because such infection may also lead to loss of tooth.
- Dental Bridges: This procedure resembles that of implants and therefore bridges gap between two or more missing teeth. Dental bridges do not only stabilize the jaw but also helps correcting a flawed smile.
- TMJ Disorders: TMJ disorders usually occur because of teeth grinding (bruxism), misaligned bite and due to putting excess or undue pressure on the teeth. These are basically the problems of Temporomandibular Joints. The patients who suffer from TMJ disorders usually also complain about neck pain severe headaches.
- Gum Diseases : Gum diseases are generally characterized by swelling, bleeding and tenderness in the gums. The treatment for such diseases includes both non-surgical and surgical procedures depending upon the nature of disease and condition of the patient. Do not ignore if you have a swollen gum or you feel tenderness in your gum and visit your dentist as soon as you can. You should try to get the treatment done right away before the problem becomes more painful.
In cases where problems of teeth aggravate to the level where no restorative repair is possible, patients are usually suggested to get a full-mouth restoration done by the dentist. And for such surgeries, the dentist may employ both restorative and cosmetic procedures to improve gum health.